Sat, 22 Oct|
Oman Balcony Walk and Via Ferrata (+ Wadi Damm Pools)
Fancy climbing Grand Canyon of Arabia and enjoy Jebel Shams views, the highest mountain in Oman at 3009 meters.
Time & Location
22 Oct 2022, 13:00 GMT+4 – 23 Oct 2022, 13:00 GMT+4
Jabal Shams, Jebel Shams, Jabal Shams, Oman
About the Event
We trek through some of the oldest rock formations in Arabia, some as old as 600 million years. It is a mountain that drops the jaw in awe!
The first day, we hike the famous Balcony Walk, which gives stunning views over the Grand Canyon of Oman. Reaching the end of the walk we start the Via Ferrata which takes us to the top of the Wadi and with a loop, to the beginning of the hike.
The last day we had to Wadi Damm which is one of the most beautiful wadis in Oman. Featuring clear blue waters, the place is also gifted with an awesome landscape, and a few very old historical landmarks.
Fri Oct 21
- Meet at 1 pm to drive to Oman border (Al Ain)
- Dinner on the way, half of the trip in a local restaurant near Nizwa
- Reach Jebel Shams camp between 9-10 pm.
Sat Oct 22
- Breakfast at camping spot, and start the hike at 7:0 am. Hike and climb via ferrata 7-8 hours.
- Packed lunch for the hike. Back at the camp spot by 6-7 pm. Dinner / bbq and camping
Sun Oct 23
- Breakfast at the camp
- Head towards wadi Damm and relax at the water pools for half a day. Many options to splash, jump, chill next to the pools.
- Lunch at a local spot and head back to Dubai by 3 pm
INCLUDED IN THE FEE
- One Certified Rock Climbing Instructor, supervising each participant trough the safety aspects of the event.
- Rock Climbing Gear (Harness, Helmet, Via Ferrata Kit) for the participants
This is a challenging but rewarding experience for those looking to reach the peak of this impressive mountain. 4 km hike start to end with a sheer drop of 1000+ meters.
Via Ferrata Total Ascent 600 m
Time: 7-8 hours with breaks
WHAT TO BRING
You need a 4x4 to reach the start point of the balcony walk.
Carpool sheet will be discussed for confirmed participants)
- Oman visa. Can be applied online - https://evisa.rop.gov.om or at the border
- 4-6 liters of water
- Snacks (oranges, apple, dates, protein bar), electrolytes, sandwiches, nuts
- Hiking boots or trainer with good grip sole
- Hiking pants, tights, dry fit t-shirt, small towel
- Wipes, sunscreen lotion and sanitizer
- Hat and sunglass
- Hiking poles (optional)
- Personal basic Aid kit (Advil, band-aid, antiseptic, etc)
- Extra - shirt, pants, flip-flops (for after the hike)
- Camping - Tent, mattress, pillow, sleeping bag, camping chair
- Food for the whole trip (there are small shops on the way in case of shortage of supplies)
ACTIVITY DIFFICULTY LEVEL
Check the Activity Levels of AQ here: Difficulty Levels | Adventure Quest
Follow this link and purchase your ticket. Limited spots available:
22 Sep 22 - Balcony Via Ferrat