We can’t wait to get back out into the mountains, go exploring and take in those incredible views. But there’s a few essentials which we need to cover to ensure a safe and enjoyable day.
Here’s our top 5 tips for hiking in the UAE mountains safely.
- Never underestimate how much water you need. We always recommend taking at least 3 litres of water and being on the safe side having too much than too little. You never know, you may need to help someone else who hasn’t brought enough.
- Bear in mind while you are hiking in the heat, you should have some mineral replacement or electrolytes for your water. Additionally, you should have a source of regular snacks such as fruit, nuts, trail mix or oat bars to keep your energy up along the way.
- Wear appropriate footwear for the terrain. Often in the UAE there is a lot of steep, loose scree slopes, uneven terrain and slippery boulders to hop on. Proper hiking shoes with ankle protection and decent grip on the soles can make all the difference in avoiding accidents. Walking poles, suitable wicking clothing and appropriate sun protection including a hat, are also recommended.
- Always have someone experienced (ideally a guide) when on the trail or trying new routes, especially if they are longer duration or more technical trails. Be aware of the map/GPS details beforehand and leave a note with someone at home of where you are going and your expected time of return.
- Carry a first aid kit. It doesn’t have to be overly packed, just your personal essentials and the basics for immediate aid in case you find yourself in a spot of bother. Be aware of your local emergency services contact details and locations. Some of the most common form of hiking issues in the UAE are sunburn, dehydration, twisted ankles and sore knees.
Safety is our top priority at Adventure Quest. We are all for people going out on their own and enjoying the incredible outdoors, but we advocate safety first.
We’re more than happy to help.