Sat, 14 Dec|
Kiddies Fossil Discovery and Nature Hike
Join us for a family friendly fun and enjoyable kiddies day out hunting for Fossils, flora and Fauna in the desert. Parents go free, but will need to register
Time & Location
14 Dec 2019, 07:30 – 11:00 GTS
About the Event
Kiddies Fossil Discovery Hike Itinterary
Be prepared to have your mind blown on this fossil discovery hike exploring the deserts of Sharjah accompanied by qualified educators and guides. Learn about the history of the UAE dating back 65 MILLION years! Check out cool fossils and rock formations and learn about the local flora and fauna at the same time.
The fossil discovery hike starts and ends at the side of the road and there is sufficient parking space and no requirement for a 4WD. The fossil area is an easy walk into the desert from the side of the road on easy terrain. The area is surrounded by lots of local trees and vegetation.
Along the walk there is evidence of fossils from the Cretaceous period dating at least 65 million years ago in pink limestone. There are hundreds, if not thousands of fossils in the limestone, so take the time to look and appreciate the fossils but for your safety, please stay with the group and do not stray away.
It is very important kids stay within arm’s reach, and parents are advised to stay with their children at all times.
We will circumbulate the outcrop, looking at the different layers of rock, and evidence of fossils in these different time periods as well as discovering local flora and fauna of the area
This is an outdoor education event that incoporates archeology, geology and local history in a fun and interesting environment for the whole family including adults. Learn about the how, why and when's of the fossils, be prepared to have your mind blow by qualified educators and guides.
We will start at 8am and finish at 11am.
We will meet at the ADNOC Service Station at 7.30am on the Sharjah Kalba Rd. This meeting point is 30 mins from Dubai and is opposite the newly opened Sharjah Mosque. Google location is https://goo.gl/maps/H3kbbvZTuo22JZMw6. From there we will take off and drive 15 mins to the Mahafiz desert to the location of the fossil outcrop.
Toilet facilities There are no bathroom facilities in the desert. You may be able to use the bathroom at the service station meeting point. The closest petrol station to this fossil area will be the ADNOC station in Mleiha 10 mins further on.
Leave only Footsteps Policy
- Don’t disturb native plants and animals and please take all rubbish with you.
- There is no rubbish collection service, so please take your rubbish home. If you have the misfortune to come across other people’s rubbish, do the desert a favour and take it out with you too.
- Please do not take any fossils home. Leave them for the benefit of others to see as well.
- Take only memories, and leave only footprints!
Local Flora and Fauna
- We will also be looking out for local flora and fauna of the UAE, which include the famous Ghaf tree – The symbol of the UAE year of Tolerance, The tribulus Terristis – the national flower of the UAE, as well as Sodom’s Apple Plant, which is prevalent throughout this area.
- You may also see different types of animals and amphibians such as gerbils, lizards, sand skinks, fringe toed lizards, striped mantis and camels.
What to Bring
- Since we will be out in the desert for several hours please bring with you at least 1L of water per person.
- In addition, sunscreen, hats and sunglasses are important.
- Please wear sturdy shoes (no flip flops or open shoes please). Hiking boots and pants are encouraged
- Thinking caps and an open mind
Fossil Discovery HIke
Book two kids tickets and Parents go FreeAED 75.00